We are one of the oldest government agencies in the cities of East Palo Alto and Menlo Park
Is your sewer backing up? Call us 24/7 at 650-325-9021.
Ten Things We do for You:
- Provide a 24/7 emergency services responding within 2 hours to all calls.
- Clean your lateral at no charge to you.
- Film the interior of your lateral to ensure it is in good condition and provide you with the appropriate advice if otherwise.
- Maintain 30 miles of sewer line throughout the city of East Palo Alto and portions of Menlo Park.
- Flush the main lines at 650 manholes a minimum of twice a year to ensure that waste water flows are uninterrupted 24/7 throughout the entire system.
- Monitor by camera every square inch of the entire pipe system to ensure that it has no breakages that would compromise the effectiveness of the pipe system.
- Provide competent stewardship to the resources of the district and minimize rate increases.
- Provide permits for any lateral upgrades or sewer connections (in the case of new structures).
- Manage the contract with the Palo Alto Water Treatment Plant and ensure that sewer waste produced in the district is appropriately processed and disposed of.
- Provide opportunities to rate-payers to serve as directors and exercise rate-payer oversight and control over the business of the district as a public agency.
Ten Things You Should Know About Your Home or Business Sewer System:
- Your sewer system is connected with what is called a "lateral" to the District main sewer lines.
- A sewer lateral is a pipe under the ground that connects a residence or business to the main sewer line.
- Laterals are a homeowner's responsibility.
- The District's main line is usually on the street clearly identified by manhole covers with words like "Sanitary Sewer" or EPASD.
- The line in certain instances may be on an easement at the back of your property.
- Tree roots are usually the main cause of lateral line stop ups.
- Used cooking oil, grease, ghee, lard etc harden and will restrict wastewaste water flow down your lateral as well as down the main pipes.
- A root infested lateral will eventually lead to raw sewage backing up into a residence or business.
- Most houses built in the 1940's and 1950's have laterals made of materials that are easily intruded and broken by tree roots. Contact us and we will provide you with an idea of the health and integrity of your lateral.
- Most laterals in houses built in the 1940's and 1950's have exceeded their expected life span.
Five Things You Could Do to Help US Serve You Better:
- Resist the temptation to pour used grease, ghee, or lard into, OR dispose of expired prescription drugs into the sewer system.
- Refrain from flushing sanitary napkins or disposable diapers down the toilets.
- Know where your lateral is located and do not plant a tree above your sewer lateral.
- CALL US at 650-325-9021 if you have a sewer problem.
- Say hi to us when you see us on the street flushing or televising...and PLEASE...if driving, slow down!