East Palo Alto Sanitary District, (“District”), is a Special District responsible for maintaining the sanitary sewers in a portion of the cities of East Palo Alto and Menlo Park, in San Mateo County. The collection system carries wastewater from the District's service area to the Palo Alto Treatment Plant where it is treated and disposed of in a manner which meets federal and state standards.
The District was established in 1939 as a result of increased development in the East Palo Alto area. The enabling legislation of the District is the Sanitary District Act of 1923 (Health and Safety Code section 6400 et seq.), The initial sewer lines were installed as a WPA project. Construction began after the treatment contract with the City of Palo Alto was signed in 1940 and District facilities were put into operation on September 8, 1942.
The District is governed by a five-member Board of Directors, elected by the registered voters residing within the District. The Board establishes the operating policies of the District; District employees carry out those policies on a day-to-day basis.
District employees consist of the General Manager, who is responsible for the administration of all District business, and necessary support staff with office and/or field responsibilities.
Our work is extremely important to the health and welfare of our community. We are proud of our employees and the reputation the District has enjoyed. We are totally committed to the maintenance of the highest standards of quality and service to members of the public and our community.